January 14, 2016
PROPHECY 2 – YIELDING TO THE SPIRIT
Memory Verse: 1 Corinthians 14:3 “But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort”
Have you ever noticed that there are things you have that you do not necessarily use? Or you realize that they are gadgets you own which you under-utilize? It’s the same for spiritual things. There are many things that believers have been given in Christ Jesus that they don’t even utilize. The simple gift of prophecy is one of such. In the book of the Acts of the Apostles, there are 5 accounts of people receiving the Holy Spirit. You can find them in Acts 2; 8; 9; 10; 19. Out of these five instances, we find that in Acts 10 and 19 that the believers not only spoke in tongues, they prophesied. Acts 19: 6 “And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied”; Acts 10:46 “For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God” which shows us that the utterance gift is received as a package so when you begin to speak in tongues, the ability to interpret and thus prophesy is already within you but it is very necessary to know what you have received so that you can walk in it.
How do you yield to the Spirit of God to prophecy?
- Understand that if you have the Spirit of God in you, you have been given the gift of prophecy
- Understand that prophecy is tongues plus interpretation. In order for tongues to be interpreted, it must first be spoken. Make it a practice to speak in tongues always
- Prophecy is inspired utterance. It is always based on the word of God. It is important for you to understand that when you prophecy, you declare God’s word by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
- The gift of prophecy operates by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit in cooperation with your will. The Spirit of God brings the gift and ability, you have to use it. The Spirit of God doesn’t prophecy, its men and women indwelled by Him that do.
- Associate with other believers in meetings planned to allow the Spirit of God free course. This kind of meeting is called Holy Ghost or Believers meetings. It is easier to demonstrate the gifts of the Spirit in a cooperate gathering rather than in a private place.
Lastly, never be afraid to give a word of prophecy after you have received one. You have not received the Spirit of fear but of power, of love and of a sound mind.
CONFESSION: I yield to the Spirit of God, I am effective in Prophecy. I prophesy by the ability of the Spirit boldly; I get better by practice in Jesus name. Amen
Further Bible Reading: Acts 9, Jude 1
Share with others